Floating Somewhere Between Architectural Fiction and the National Express

Well, chaps, I'm off for a week to attend Once Upon a Place, in Lisbon. The program looks great, I have to say. Musing on the relationship between architecture and fiction, on creating imaginary cities, and cities with imagination. Thinking on Walter Benjamin and J.G. Ballard, on gender politics and the buildings of science-fiction.

It's the getting there that's going to be a bit of a travail, but hopefully the coach and a certain budget airline will treat me with kindness. This is the pay off you see, about academic conferences; intellectual nourishment bookended by several hours of expensive and bruise inducing travel. But it's going to be worth it, I'm fairly certain of that. I'm looking forward to this, and I'm really grateful that I'm able to go. Because these things don't happen every day - especially when you're a student. It will be nice to be a delegate and see how they run things. Perhaps I'll even find some interest for Curiouser and Curiouser - who knows?

Comments

Popular Posts