The World Heritage Applications

Under this cut, you'll find a list of the sites applying for World Heritage Status. I have to admit, I wouldn't know who I'd vote for. I've so many sites on this list of which I am very fond. The Jewelry Quarter in Brum, Chester Rows, Cresswell Crags, The Lake District, Offa's Dyke and St Andrews.

This is something I'm going to have to think about. But I am incredibly proud of the heritage sites which such a small island have. Even the weird ones. From megalithic monuments, unexplained stone figures, and deserted factories, we have an incredible diversity of history here.

These do, in fact, make me proud to be British.

Comments

Ceri said…
I was also incredibly excited to see this list and that two places in the Isle of Mann are included - the The Laxey Valley and Tynwald Hill. I recently spent a week on the island (my parents have lived there for just over 10 years) and visited both these sites. The Laxey Valley is a site connected with mining, including lead and silver, and contains a wealth of industrial heritage, including the Lady Isabella, a wheel that was used to drain the mines of water. Coincidentally I even asked my Dad if Laxey was a World Heritage site and so it is good to see that it is under consideration. I hope to do a post soon about the history of the Isle of Mann, there is an awful lot of it and because the Island is relatively under-developed much of it has survived.

But I agree Jenny that the island does have an enormous wealth of history despite it's size - I was reading about the Roman forts at Vindolanda and the amazing finds they have there of Roman letters detailing everyday life, creating that small link with the past which helps to bring it to life.
Ceri said…
In my second paragraph I meant the British Isles - oops!!

Popular Posts